View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Twin Stick Pickups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gmc305e View Post
I found two identical three speed brownies, they have a super low, straight through and .75 OD. I put one in my 68 chevy one ton flatbed dump. It is 14 inches long and has a stick shift that comes through the floor beside the stock 4 speed shift. Now I can crawl at walking speed in super low and fourth, town drive in straight through, or do 120 mph down the freeway while turning low RPMs. These are not hard to find and usually between free and $100. The easiest way to find them is in older farm trucks that needed the wide range of use.
Sounds like the Brownies that were in the '74 Diamond REO 10-wheel ready mix trucks the company I drove for bought new summer of '74. Trucks all had 208 HP rated 555 Cummins engines, 5-speed Allison main trans, 20,000# rated front axle, 34,000# rated XQHD Hendrixson rear axles. Loaded you stayed in direct on the Brownie, Empty for long runs back to the plant you ran O/D, on job sites you used under drive. Once you go comfortable you could shift the Brownie while moving. 208 HP in a 52,000# truck with a 5-speed automatic is terribly under-powered. 250-275 HP would have made a huge difference.