View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2014, 03:12 PM

Truck: 1967 GMC 1/2 ton
triteddy57 is on a distinguished road
Default Priming a 351e v6 engine

Hello everybody, I am sure happy this site exists. A relative just gave me a 1967 GMC Dually that has not been started in 6 years. I am a novice mechanic at best and that's probably stretching things. But I am fascinated with this motor and don't want to damage it so I decided to "prime" the engine.
I first poured mystery oil down spark plug holes over a period of several days. and was able to turn motor by hand.
I changed oil and filter oil used is a 5w10 or 20 (the thinnest viscosity I could get hoping that it would seap through any dried up parts easier) I live in pa and it's in an unheated garage. As soon as I get it started I will put heavier oil in.
I removed the distributor and my first surprise was the type of oil pump shaft it had. It is a long hex shaped rod. I hooked up a drill extension drilled it a couple for at least a minute or 2 a few times waiting to see oil squirt from rockers but nothing has happend. The drill turns at 1200 rpm. I checked a couple times to be sure rod is turning pump. Turning with fingers And it feels like it has the type of resistance one would expect with an impeller spinning in oil. So I think it is making a connection.
I have watched dozens of youtube of people priming engines so Now my next thought is to connect an oil pressure gauge but I can't seem to find where it would connect. I have the gmc maintenance book and the engine overhaul book
but I don't see any noted places to do this. Can somebody tell me.. Where it can be connected or better yet do I even have to prime it at all. One reason I ask that is because I have read one feature of this motor is some type of pre-oiling it does when starting that saves wear and tear. One other thing. I put 5 quarts oil in but I did not pre-oil the filter. (Could not pre oiling the filter have caused an
air pocket that is preventing the oil from getting up to the rockers.)
Hope to hear from somebody. Ihave ordered the factory assembly manual which will arrive Monday hopefully that will be helpful in locating the place to connect oil pressure gauge. Opinions,ideas,tips greatly appreciated.