View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:57 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Priming a 351e v6 engine

Jim, not sure what you are saying but: The distributor has a gear on it's stem which engages a gear in the motor. (cam shaft gear) The distributor also "engages" a pump rod which is turned by the distributor because the distributor is turned by the motor gear when motor is turning. When the distributor is removed, nothing will drive the pump rod, so a drill is used to circulate oil. I'm not sure what you mean by "distributor drive". The pump rod is a hex shape, in many engines it's a slotted shaft. If he turns the engine with distributor out, the cam gear will turn and that changes the position of the distributor vs timing when you put it back in. If someone has marked everything before removing dizzy, they usually don't want to rotate motor. As I said, it's not the end of the world, it can be pretty easily reset by finding TDC cyl 1.

Teddy: Taking it to him sounds like a good plan. At the very least explain what you have and what you are doing and see what he says. 70K mile? WOW, that's neat. Should start right up with the proper procedures. Do you know if it was running when parked? How did you attach a drill? Long shaft with hex socket? My motor started showing oil at rockers with turning with starter motor, so I didn't use drill. I did cover everything with oil and cleaned the screen and put some oil in plug holes before cranking. NOT WD40.

Last edited by AZKen; November 22nd, 2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add