View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2018, 09:47 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 305 Starter Replacement, Shims; yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Don't worry about it! I'm still "the new kid" when it comes to working on trucks. And I like to put things back like they were. He did say it was wearing right (I mean correctly) before so I erred on the side of caution.

Jim, looks like all the old timers say ditch the shims. I'd like to change my vote to be that, things being what they are.

Also something else: I think I read somewhere that you could use a Chevy starter and just change the head on it or the case on it or something and it'll work instead of getting it rebuilt.
Hello, Fetch!

I wasn't giving you heck about the subject at hand. The fact is that there was technical and true machining experience that went into these engines and starters, unlike the newer style GM starters that bolt to the engine block instead of the bell housing. The moron that dreamed up that type of starter with the difficulty of installing shims for proper starter pinion to ring gear engagement should have had his behind kicked over his shoulders!! I swear that if today's engineer's brains were made of dynamite, they wouldn't have power enough to blow their noses!!