View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2023, 01:32 AM

Truck: 1966 1500
Bradstark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New member from Colorado Springs

Wow - thanks for all of the replies. I really appreciate. For me (and with significant pushing from my wife) job number one is getting the truck in working and safe condition. I really need this truck to move on its own and out of my driveway to another garage I have. It can come back and forth - it just can't sit in one spot during the winter.

George... thanks! I think she's a beauty too. I really wasn't shopping for this truck. I will sometimes look on Craigslist for idle entertainment. I saw this and couldn't believe it, so I called the guy and he was super nice. I don't like working with grumps, but he was great. He got it from a guy that owed him money, and he just wanted his money back plus a little.

Lizzie... the existing carb is flooding the engine with fuel. The previous owner bought another WW carb, and failed - so I was left with the option of getting this carb rebuillt or going with a Holley. I just felt that the quickest way to get back on the road was to get a new carb.

Jim... There is no way you can steer this truck safely in Colorado Springs traffic unless it's Sunday morning at 3am and you take the turn from the lane on your left. A manual steering box was around $500. I power steering unit is*$800... so I wussed out and got went with the power steering. I have experience restoring cars, and don't believe in gutting the life history from truck. Sometimes, you just have to make a choice and move forward.

Ed... thanks for the advice on the transmission. I'll look at it in the morning.

Thanks everyone. I love this truck. It's gone to a good home. I'll keep it as original as I can, and I throw away nothing. So... there's always the option of going back after it gets up and running

Last edited by Bradstark; October 10th, 2023 at 01:40 AM. Reason: clarification