View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2022, 08:53 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

Did a compression test today. All cylinders 125 psi! Took so long as I had to make an adapter because of the threads being so deep in these heads.

Did some fooling around with mufflers, had a turbo muffler on, an old Daytona made piece. I did not run a tailpipe, just the original muffler removed with couple the new one with an adapter. Liked the 'loudness' first but that goes away fast and the cab drone is annoying. Turns to obnoxious real fast IMO.

Will switch back to the OEM quiet muffler for now. Mine is still original and does a great job at keeping the noise low. A little more rumble would be welcome but that is it.

Planning to upgrade to 2.25 inch (true) duals. Looking at some mufflers now. Think I'll go with the Walker 17911 quiet flows. Should be quiet but still an upgrade over the factory single exhaust.

Changed the coolant.

Also working on the IPE bedwood. Propane conversion coming up soon..
Got most of the parts for the conversion gathered. Will keep you posted with pics when I get it installed.

Future plans:
HEI ignition from the Buick 231 V6
Toolbox in the bed for tools and general stuff. This also houses the propane tank.
Easy to use bed tie-down system to carry stuff around in the bed.
Improved PCV system that does away with the built-in cylinder head PCVs.
Headlight high beam and low beam via relays.
Rust repairs
Paint (503 light green with the white bumpers etc.)
Cosmetic upgrades
Replacing worn out and cracked parts like the front and vent window rubbers.
New towing bumper from my own design, copying the original but lighter, better made in regards to rust prevention etc.
Trailer hitch and wiring to complement it.

Last edited by Prowbar; February 28th, 2022 at 09:07 PM.