View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:55 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help. I have Questions

I had a '78 F150 with stock 300-6 that over-heated in summer because of no fan shroud. I made one, just a 3-4 inch wide piece of galvanized roof flashing backed up with 1/8" x 1" aluminum strip bent into a circle around the outside of the fan and attached to the sides of the radiator. It just needs to be wide enough to reach the tips of the fan blades. I didn't even cover up the corners of the radiator, it improved air flow thru the radiator enough to stop over-heating on hot days. My next problem was how to get it warmed up running 65 mph in below Zero temps.

If you have a salvage yard or You Pull A-Part yard nearby you might be able to find a shroud there that will fit.

My old '96 F250 diesel was running warm, hot actually the last couple years in summer when towing in hills. SON put gauges in it, coolant temp, boost, egt, and oil psi. He can get all 16 psi boost, 1100-1200 degrees EGT, but when coolant hit 220 and was gaining fast he started working on cooling system. New water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, coolant flush & refill, a new fan belt, belt tensioner, after-market all aluminum radiator, and running into a 20-30 mph headwind on 80 degree day 80 mph, 12 psi boost 1100 egt, running 195 degree coolant temp with 194 degree thermostat, I think he Fixed it. The stock fan shroud fits the Mishimoto radiator.