View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2018, 09:11 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oil Filter or lack of ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley View Post
Just went to change the oil on my 62 with a 305D and discovered that it did not have an oil filter. Where the oil filter is on my other V6s is not even machined out of the block. All there is there is a thin plate with the pressure sender in it.I never heard of such a thing. Is this common or weird? Dave
Greetings, Quigley!

Definitely weird. I personally have never heard of a GMC V-6 without an oil filter, but anything is possible. Older GM I6 engines came without oil filters, but kits were available to equip them with an external oil filter unit. Can you provide a better picture of the location where the Oil Pressure sending unit is located? I could be wrong, but there might be, or should be such a thing as removing the thin metal plate that you describe, and replacing it with an oil filter "adapter" from another "parts" V-6.