View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2014, 02:48 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 FleetsideObviously, if you arein a hurry

So since my last post, I knew I was not going to have much time for a while to devote to Rusty. Though I was continuing to work on the bumper as time permitted, I knew I had rust covered bumper brackets to contend with at a future date. Since I knew I had time before getting to them, I decided to try out a little science experiment I had heard about...treating rust with molasses.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The theory is that soaking the rusted parts in a concoction of molasses and water (9 parts water to 1 part molasses) for two weeks would take care of the rust.

So starting with these parts...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

(the cover plates were very rusted on the back side)
...I scrounged around to find a container they would fit in. I then poured in 1 gallon of water at a time into the container with the parts in it to see how much water I needed to cover the brackets. Once I knew how much water I had, I managed to do some math to figure out how much molasses I would need. In it went and I let it sit. After a few days, it was getting a little bubbly...

...A few more days and I had to move it out of the garage. The smell was getting a little funky.

So as it continued to sit, a guy at work asked why I did not use vinegar. Frankly I did not know you could. Once he said it was faster, I did a little research into molasses versus vinegar for rust. What I learned was, yes the vinegar is faster. However, vinegar will eat rust and good metal whereas the molasses only goes after the rusted metal. Good to know!

So two weeks later and the concoction was looking oh so yummy...

I stated pulling out parts and they did not look to impressive at first...

However, after cleaning them up with a little dawn and scotchbrite pad, I was impressed. Just rinsing them with water and 90% of the rust just sloughed off. In this image you can see flash rust did raise it's ugly head to a minor extent...

But a few short minutes with a wire wheel and all parts looked quite impressive to me...

The rusted bolts came out good to. Obviously, if you are in a hurry, this is not the method to use. However, if you have other things to work on, toss your rusted stuff in a batch of molasses and let it sit. It's slow as molasses,

but you don't lose any good metal during the process.

Bumper is almost ready as well...