View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:27 PM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 65 305e Fuel Pump Question

Assuming you have good fuel flow from gas tank and frame mounted fuel filter, I guess it could be a weak pump.

One time when we were out of town, the same thing happened to us... No gas squirting in the carb when rotating the carb pump. I didn’t find any leaks and I knew the rest of the fuel system was good, so I went across the street to a gas station and put some gas in a water bottle. While my better half was cranking the engine I poured some gas down the carb and she lit. Took a couple tries but she stayed running and got us home. My tank is still behind the seat, so some gravity feed assistance and I’m assuming it was a weak pump that needed to be primed. And no, it did not start after returning home and sitting overnight.

Replaced the pump the following day and fired up after a few seconds of cranking.

I have probably replaced my fuel pump about a dozen times due to diaphragm fatigue/tear with fluid leaking from weep hole. The scenario above only happened to me one time.

If you have a weep hole and not leaking, it does seem strange that you would get multiple weak pumps with low mileage. But again, mine is an older model, so there may be some differences?

Is your tank still behind the seat? Have good fuel flow to inlet side of fuel filter? No sediment from tank in fuel filter? Any unusual marks on the pump arm inside the block? Should have a small polished spot.

FYI, unrelated to our GMC I have seen gas caps that seal so tight that are not vented or a plugged vent, that did not allow enough fuel to pull from tank (too much vacuum). Loosen up cap and full fuel flow.