View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2015, 01:26 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 Custom Wideside SB
jagarra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NO VIN number plate

I know the vin number, have the title. But this is more of an exercise in determining where it should be located and how does one get a replacement vin tag.

I have contacted one outfit, no response yet. I will contact Jim Carter, found on previous forums threads that he can supply replacement vin plates.

The issue is if a vehicle is titled from out of state, a vin inspection is required, even though in this case it is not an issue, it brings up an interesting set of problems.

A few years ago I bought a motorcycle from a fellow I knew, he said he had the title, but could not find it, he never transferred it into his name. Not having a title gives you some real headaches. To make a long story short, it was previously registered and titled in California. I downloaded the necessary paperwork to get a replacement title. We went back to the original owner who last had the bike registered and got him to sign off, notarized of course. Submitted the paperwork to CA DMV with proper paperwork and was told we had to pay registration fees for the last 10 years that had elapsed from the last registration. This was to the tune of $750 before they would issue a duplicate title.
To my benefit, the guy I bought it from found the title and I was able to get it registered here in Nevada, some 19 months after I bought the bike.

A point to remember as one sees these old trucks out behind a house somewhere. Know the requirements of your DMV before you commit on buying a great restoration project without a title.