View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:26 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road
Default 1961 GMC Shocked When Bracket Broken

If I don't start with a photo either it never happened or I can expect convincing words: Photo 1 is the truck.

A week ago all it's parts are enjoying the low speed ride. Then left front shock says, "Clang, bang, and #%@&!!!". I take a look. Then I say, "#%@&!!!". A couple of retraced city blocks over the same ice ridges and pot hole crevasses gets us back to the shade tree garage. Restoring my language to perhaps 30% English words, I wrench (9/16 inch) a little.

Photo 2 is shock bracket parts. Photo 3 is broken bracket: small top brother seems to be not getting along with bigger bottom brother. I pick each up by the scruff of the neck and march them to the basement work shop. It's about the same temperature as the shade tree garage but has less wind and better light (after sunset). I grind a little. I'm fairly good at clamping pieces that look rectangular. These guys don't so I get out the wire, some bolts, a few nails and convince the irregular brothers to get in line. If you look closely (or shut your eyes and imagine) that's what you see in Photo 4. The vise is to remind them to get along for a while.

Photo 5 indicates brothers bonding: not exactly dimes in a row, but they are brothers and, being one myself, I don't expect neatness.

1961 GMC K1500 is one tough truck. 478 V6, tough in it's own right at 900 lbs., is a later addition. Springs and other suspension parts are in good, original shape. I have a hunch engine weight, ice ridges, and pot hole crevasses are contributors to the shock absorber bracket's attempt to subdivide. (To bracket's credit, it's brotherly parts have stayed quite bonded for 40,000 miles.)

First question: is 1961 GMC K1500 still under warranty? (OK, you don't have to waste time answering that, I just need to laugh at myself a bit.)

Real first question: is a broken front shock absorber bracket a common enough occurrence that I should think about stronger brackets? If so, do the
bigger 1960-1966 GMC trucks have stronger brackets than stock 3/4 ton four wheel drive trucks have? If so, any one have a couple for sale?

Thanks for putting up with a long three questions and thanks in advance for your experience.

Regards and I'm hoping other shade tree garages now also feel less like winter,

Culver Adams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc05483-R.jpg (214.8 KB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05479-R.jpg (598.9 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05497-R.jpg (235.0 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05500-R.jpg (296.7 KB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)
File Type: jpg Dsc05505-R.jpg (262.8 KB, Multiple views, 10 clicks)