View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2019, 04:22 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 speed/o.d. swap comparisons - WC/S10 T5 hybrid, NV4500, A833 MY6, Tremec 3550 Mustang

Fast forward 2.5 years, I still have this 351C engine on the stand in the garage, and the AX15 Dodge V6 Magnum transmission waiting... Probably getting ready to order this Novak adapter plate soon. I think I have a blown head gasket on the 305D after having it over heat twice on me in recent years (once due to a hole rusted through a steel freeze plug in the back of the head) and having the radiator plugged up after I let the engine sit completely drained out of antifreeze for a day or two and let all of the sludge inside dry up, later to be loosened up and start floating around and plug up my aftermarket aluminum TIG welding radiator...
Plus the synchros for 2nd gear in this Saginaw 4-speed are pretty worn out!

Also looking to get some body patch panels to patch a few areas down low that have develop some rust bubbles... As well as the front cab support area brackets.
Maybe even a 73-91 Suburban disc brake front crossmember will go in at the same time, as my worn-out $450 ball joints are a big concern! Pulling a 4x8 trailer full of motorcycles and parts, as wellas hauling building materials, are both critical uses for my GMC...

I also must admit that I got another HUGE distraction, a 1988 Suzuki Samurai... I'm trying to turn this into a good fuel economy semi daily driver and off-road toy, as my 1982 VW Rabbit diesel pickup truck is getting a bit Rusty and I am not looking forward to trying to fabricate or source from across the ocean all of the unibody repair panels that I would need to do it right...
so instead I am looking at putting a mechanical pump from a Land Rover 300tdi engine onto a VW ALH 1.9TDI engine, and adding a Toyota V6 transmission and either a Land Cruiser transfer case or Jeep ax15 rear half transmission case since they are of the same family, and adapter to an old school Jeep/IH Scout Dana 18 transfer case, since this Samurai has a full floater Toyota custom arear axle housing offset for the Samurai rear end passenger side drop, so that the front and rear differentials are both in-line, like a select few elite off-road machines like the old school Jeeps 1971 and older, most Toyota Land Cruisers, Land Rover Defenders, International Scouts, Samurai's etc...
Shooting for 34-36mpg on 31" tires, and decent pulling power out of the little miniature powerhaus VW TDI engines, which are extremely efficient at what they do and take extremely well to modifications as simple as adding more boost fuel... Without having too much effect on decreasing the fuel economy.
aftermarket aluminum body tub in the Canadian long-wheelbase version would be the long-term plan for the ultimate daily driver.
The GMC will be used for the heavier hauling, although the 1.9L TDI engine in a little Samurai could easily be tweaked to make the same power as the 351 V6... The big truck will be better handling with a load and will be a little more stout
Also got severely distracted the last few years riding dirt bikes in Wayne National Forest in other great areas at the edge of the Appalachians...

The GMC is ready to see the light of day again in a more glorious form than I have been driving it in...
*'77-'79 Suzuki GS motorcycles, '76 Rickman CR900 roadracer.
*Dirtbikes: 2 Kawasaki KDX220R's, '77 Suzuki PE250, '83 PE175