View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2022, 11:14 PM

Truck: 64 1/2 ton
tbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the roughtbucketnut is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

Thank you Rolland aka snazzypig. Rolland saved the day by offering me his set of oversize 305 pistons complete with rings and wristpins. A thousand thank yous Rolland. I have met so many nice people here with top notch advice to go with. If it wasnt for Rolland my 305 engine would be dead and an off brand would of found its way into my GMC. It is not the same and it would of been a truck that I would of completed but not been in love with anymore.

The front clip is off the truck now and it is time to disassemble the front suspension and steering components. It is getting all new tie rod ends, power assist cylinder and valve. New upper and lower ball joints and A arm bushings plus front bearings and brakes.

I have some serious cleaning to do first. A leaky power steering valve collected about ten pounds of grease and dirt buildup over the last 50 or so years.

Pretty stoked to get started here. Engine is in the machine shop getting hot tanked then bored and honed, crank getting turned, then I'm doing all the assembly there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1410.JPG (937.4 KB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_1411.JPG (1.02 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg IMG_1415.JPG (1.10 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)

1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, SM420
Finished Cab off restoration

1964 GMC 1000
305 V6, SM 420
Restoration is now started, still looking for an oldsmobile style power steering pump