View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2024, 02:45 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
vwgreg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for information - Buying a truck

Another update and a question -
I looked at two more trucks this past week, and I don't understand why they are all missing wiper arms but they did.

The 1968/72 was sold from under me, I am a little disappointed but that's how it goes, there is another that popped up and I will see that tomorrow.

I saw the '66 grain truck, it was just too big. I measured the bed - 18 feet long. Before I left, the guy had sold it to another who was there looking at it at the same time.

It was in really good shape but the real problem was it needed brakes all the way around (it stopped but not well) and had a 'knock' coming from the engine, it wasn't a knock like a rod knock but a knock with a ring.

The other I looked at was a 1969 GMC 3000 stake bed with a 305 V6 4sp, GVW 10k.

The owner said that the engine was not original, and the SPID confirmed that fact. He said the owner before him pulled the engine out of a smashed '67, The problem with it is all electrical - no lights, no charging, no blower motor (I am good at sorting out electrical issues). He said the original engine had internal problems and the reason for the swap.

I bought a battery with me, put it in, and got it running. It idled well and moved well, but it seemed to wander all over the place. I spent an hour with the truck, and 15 minutes with the seller, made an offer, and waited for him to tell me either way. I don't think he will accept the offer, he said he had others.

A couple of questions -

I am looking at one-ton trucks which are not easy to find. I ran across a lot of 3/4 ton trucks. I read somewhere that a 3/4 with HD suspension can handle the weight I need to haul (about 3400 lbs) and tow the heavy trailers I have (2100 lbs empty). I also read that the pre-73 trucks have better frames. Is this true?

Where can I find a GMC master parts catalog in PDF format?

Not an assembly manual but an actual parts manual for 67-72 trucks.