View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:20 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Setting Simple Ignition Points

I have two 1960's GMC vehicles with V6 engines. A 305E in a pickup and a 351C in a medium duty truck. Both of these have the distributor stuffed in the back of the engine and use what I call "loosen and try again" style ignition points (no distributor window or points adjustment screw). I am having a devil of a time setting them, especially in the truck, with my "try again" often leading to worse results when checked with a dwell meter. My routine is to use a feeler gauge to try to get a point gap close to the specified spacing, then check with a dwell meter to see if the setting is acceptable. But re-adjusting is more like starting over than fine-tuning. IS THERE A METHOD FOR DOING THIS THAT I AM MISSING. There are slots in both the distributor plate and the points that appear to allow using a screwdriver to spread or close the point gap, but I haven't figured out how to make this work. And the clearances at the back of the engines don't give much room for maneuvering with more than a couple of fingers.

I have learned by experience that point settings and function make a big difference in engine performance, so I want to get it right. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

jrmunn