View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2019, 07:05 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1500 Custom
LordNatedawg will become famous soon enoughLordNatedawg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Papa Smurf" - 1966 GMC 1500 Custom

Quote:
140 Ft. Lbs. torque seems like an awful lot for a shock absorber mounting bolt?? a that torque, it sounds like it would need to be at least a 9/16" or 5/8" bolt. Are they that big?
I think, from a somewhat suspicious memory, a 1/2" un-plated grade 8 bolt has a max spec of about 120 Ft. Lbs.
I have no specific reference for that bolt, but I would be sure that is the correct spec,, before torquing it to that level.
Most wheel studs are not more than 90-100 Ft. Lbs.
Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
1970 GMC RM-7500 401M
I would estimate the bolt to be at least 9/16". It is the stud that mounts to the frame. The nut that mounts the shock absorber to the stud is only torqued to 60ft-lbs (as well as the bolt that mounts the shock to the control arm).

I'll admit that these torque specs didn't come from my 60-66 factory manual. They came from my 1974 GMC service manual. The shock absorbers I ordered will fit my 66 1500 as well as 1974 2500s (according to Summit Racing), therefore it is safe to assume that the torque specs are the same. Again, this is the nut on the inside of the frame that is only for mounting the stud to the frame.

Quote:
What you need is to rent/borrow a torque multiplier. The one I have has a 4:1 ratio. I have use it alot on torquing the pinion nut on the rear axle. To buy one your putting out over $250.00.
I never even knew those existed, but I knew I wanted/needed one! Lol

Couldn't find anyplace online that seems to rent them. I'll start asking friends and neighbors. If I can't borrow one, $250 is not that much money for something like that. I know of a few future tasks that may require it.