View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2022, 06:57 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC K1000
squighound is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 65 K1000 305E Starter 'clunk'

Hi,

I had to replace the original started because it disintegrated... and then unfortunately while it was sitting on my bench it got thrown away (/sigh). So I bought this one from a GM dealer (WAI 4038N): https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=6680672&jsn=3

That's when this issue started happening - when I installed the new starter. Thus began all the troubleshooting. In trying to figure out what's causing the issues I have:
- bought a SECOND new starter (same make/model)
- ran a new 4ga ground wire from the negative battery terminal directly to the starter mounting bolt
- removed all paint/grease/etc from the starter and the mounting surface on the bell housing.
- replaced the ignition switch
- connectivity tested all wires from ignition switch to the starter
- bench-tested starter with two different batteries
- in-car tested starter with a remote switch
- in-car tested starter with two different batteries
- had the main battery tested at a shop

I also just recently replaced the oil, oil filter, air filter and sparkplugs. Drained the gas and replaced with fresh. We got the truck over the winter, so that stuff was just the usual "give it a once-over" kind of stuff.

Sometimes it will start 8x in a row, then "fail". Other times it will fail 2-3x in a row, then start. Doesn't seem to be a specific pattern to it.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Nice vid!
It almost seems like the first try bumps into a tooth but aligns the mesh just enough for the second try to fit.
Sometimes the first alignment is OK.
Maybe it doesn't hit a tooth, but doesn't move far enough to make the internal electrical contact which would boost the gear into meshing.
I can't remember what changes you made that preceded this unfortunate situation, but I admire your tenacity and am sure clear skies are just ahead.

I am not sure how much I should risk jinxing my Jimmy and me, but I don't remember replacing or rebuilding my starter in 52 years.