View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2021, 05:50 AM

Truck: 1965 1000 Series with 250 engine and SM420 transmission
biscaynebirdie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Overcharging alternator and buzzing voltage regulator

Thank you all for your comments and advice! I’ve been spending a lot of time adjusting the contact gap and spring tension in that regulator, and I think that I have it at a point where it isn’t going to undercharge or overcharge my battery (even though I have no idea what in the **** I am doing). I went for a brief drive tonight and measured the voltage at idle once I got back. I had been running the heater blower, headlights, and turn signals during the drive but shut them off once I pulled into the driveway. At idle with no accessories on other than the running lights, my meter read 12.9 volts at the battery posts. Sound okay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I seen more alternator ground problems than anything else.
Funny you should mention it... I ended up running a ground wire directly from the ground post on the alternator to the ground screw on the regulator box. For some reason we hadn’t run one in the first place. Probably one reason it isn’t acting up as much.

I’ll follow your instructions and let you know what my results are. Probably going to be a day or two before I can get around to doing it.