View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2016, 03:24 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Plans for a 478 build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobill View Post
A 478 is more diesel like in it's construction (heavy parts/limited breathing). As such, I'd approach a build with only one idea..................boost! That will allow you to keep the engine speed within stock limits and take the high cost of making it live at higher RPMS out of the equation.

Perfect your fabrication skills and learn all you can about turbocharging. Over the years, I've built a few turbocharged engines and fabricated the setups. You'd be surprised on how much power you can make on the "cheap", relatively speaking of course.

I can easily see a 478 making 800 lbs ft of torque at 1400 to 1800 RPM's and about 400 to 425 HP at 3200 to 3400 RPMS with no more than 15 pounds of boost on a simple draw through carbureted fuel system with breaker points in the distributor and simple water/alcohol injection............with a single turbo.

With an good engine, this could be done for less than a couple grand.
Boost is in the plan for sure. But if I boost it I'll probably leave the internals stock as that engine has plenty of pull as it Is....then add 8 pounds of boost....sheesh! Sucker would pull a mountain.
If I stay naturally aspirated I'll lighten the rotating assembly and see about making it a 5500 rpm engine like has been done before. Course at that point I'd be putting a big 4 barrel on it, make a set of headers, and maybe try an hei with the msd box. Also would need to have a custom cam made. And many other things. lol
Be fun to make a twin 4 barrel high rise intake for it. haha

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.