View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:32 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC 1/2 Ton
Vern is on a distinguished road
Default Help for a new guy

Hello, new member and aspirational 1966 GMC owner. Realization of dream I've has since I was a kid. Anyway, I'm looking at a 1966 GMC "custom" edition with a non-original inline 6 for $1500. The tags expired in 2001 and it's been sitting for the last 2-4 yrs. When I started it, it ran really rough and stalled when I pushed the choke in. Smelled horrible. I was able to drive it around the neighborhood, but had to leave the choke on. I came back a couple days later to drive it again; it started easier and ran a little better. However, I couldn't get it over 35 MPH on the road without it lurching and stalling multiple times. I would've bought it that night if I thought it had to be the potential to be a daily driver.
So my question is....I'd take it if the problem was simply old gas or something simple. I don't have the time, money, or expertise to deal with a complex problem. Are there some tests I can to do determine if it's a simple problem or a truck I should walk away from? Much appreciated!