View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:24 AM

Truck: 1963 GMC Fenderside
John Mann is on a distinguished road
Default '63 Fenderside in Colorado

Hi everyone,

I bought a '63 Fenderside about 12 years ago, drove it some, then let it sit. Now, I'm disassembling it to rebuild, etc. Here's the story so far, with a few pictures. I'll try to keep this up to date.

Disclaimer: I'm an amateur at this. Did a top overhaul on a '53 Chevy engine in 1967. Since then, not so much. I will be asking questions. Thanks already to TJ; thanks in advance to everyone who steps forward with advice.

I bought this one-owner at, basically, an estate sale. The gentleman had owned it for 40+ years, had all the registration receipts, etc, until he died in his 90s. I think he had driven it okay. But I'm not sure about servicing--the tie rod ends are buried in caked dirt/grease; there is about an inch of sludge in the bottom of the tranny. And I think he rode the clutch at stop lights, as the throwout bearing is beyond shot. It has its share of dents and dings, and some rust. But overall, it will be a fun project.

The day I was to pick it up, the guy's niece called and said a tire was flat (front right), could I come the next day. I did. On the way home, I noticed a wobble in the steering wheel. That progressed to more of a vibration. Then it got a bit more serious, so I decided to pull over. As I coasted down, I heard a "ting" sound. At about 15 mph, I touched the brakes; that is when the front right wheel came off. I landed on the drum brake, and the wheel kept going down the street.

Turns out there was only one lug that was tight. The others had vibrated off the lugs, then that last one broke. Lucky I was at 15 mph. Drove on the drum a couple hundred yards to get out of the road, got a tow from there.

And, the fun began!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0204.jpg (310.7 KB, Multiple views, 30 clicks)