View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:05 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My woodsplitter project

My lovely wife came home early yesterday to watch our gang of wild children and give me some "man time" playing with the welder. She's awesome sometimes!

I started with a 15 inch piece of pipe. I laid it caddy-corner on the axle part to measure it (see next pic) and marked it. Then I cut it with my oxy torch.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then I welded it on. it was a ragged cut but I filled in the extra bits with weld rod. I've been watching Youtube videos on oxy cutting to get better. So far I'm able to cut, just not very well.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Next I pulled out my 8 foot beam. I marked it 22 inches from the end (doesnt matter which).

Then I sat the axle bits on top.

I measured all the sides to make sure it was kinda centered. I wasn't good at fitting it together on the 2x4 beam so I might have to correct for my mistakes on the actual axle stubs.

I dont remember if I said so, but when you weld with a stick you get lots of spatter flying around. Oh yeah, i showed my socks earlier. Well I made this quick little spatter shield for my feet. I just took a bit of leftover pipe and welded it with two quick tacks to a piece of thin metal I got from the junkyard. it works!

Anyway back on target I welded the axle bits to the beam.

I made several passes too because this is the part that keeps the wheels tied to the splitter. It HAS to stay stuck on. I put about four passes on it to build it up real well.

And that was it for yesterday. it's coming along! And my welding is getting much better. I'm almost dimes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.