View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:28 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My woodsplitter project

Quote:
Ok Pepsi don't take this the wrong way. My kids call me an equal opportunity abuser. And they still love me. At least they say they do. And I get a kick out of your enthusiasm, but your welding is UGLY.
I can always trust you to tell me the truth Barry. Thanks for the critique! I know my welding isn't too pretty, but it's getting better every time I try. And I'm still trying

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I've got several "dimes" put on in the last few days, but I always end up getting cocky and blowing through again.

Quote:
First thing don't flame cut your stuff. Use a saws all or a band saw or an abrasive blade in a skilsaw. You will have better fit up and results.
I don't have any of those unfortunately. My options were grinding wheel or torch. I just got a 40cf set so I'm going to try again on thicker stuff (1/4 inch plate) to see if I can learn it. Some guys can cut with a torch and it looks sooo clean that you'd swear it was poured that way. That's where I'd like to be. I do have a chop saw lined up though. If it doesn't fall through I'll own one by Christmas for freeEEEEE!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Quote:
Second stick with 6011 or 6013 rod and keep it dry. I keep my rod in an old oven. I heat if up to 200 a couple of hours before I use it to get it really devoid of moisture. Third use less heat and more speed on the thin box. You will have less blowout. Fourth use more heat and less speed on the heavy stuff really feed the rod into the pieces as you stitch Back and forth. You should feel the rod penetrate.
I got told that I should only use 7018 on the axles and trailer hitch assembly at minimum because it's stronger (70,000 psi vs 60,000 psi) and if I used 6011 on it they'd break off going down the road. I didn't know I could use the 6011's on it. I could have saved another 20 bucks!

Quote:
Finally let the 9 year old play with the welder. When I was her age I burnt 200 lbs of 3/16 hard face rod at grandpas rock quarry over two weeks.. The first few days the old Norwegian really abused me and told me to watch out for the birds that had poop on his loader buckets. Keep it up and keep trying, and watch out for the birds. Barry
She's deathly afraid of the sparks, but I think she's interested. We'll see how she reacts when I tell her to strike an arc. I'll let ya know!

Thanks for all the tips etc. You're definitely the jack of all trades, Barry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.