Thread: My 64 GMC 1500
View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:14 PM
-= Extreme Supporter =-

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 2wd
James will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enoughJames will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My 64 GMC 1500

Quote:
Cheeker,

I did not add a brake booster. The truck came with a vacuum boost that my father removed because it was too sensitive (but probably necessary to the first owner who carried a camper and found the 305E underpowered for the weight). I would be cautious about adding a booster if you don't need it for a load. My rear tires lock up on a moderate stop, even with the larger radial tires, and this could be dangerous with added brake power and sensitivity. On the other hand, I can still push hard on the brake pedal.

jrmunn
I wonder if the vacuum boost/brake booster on your truck was added for the original owner. A common mistake when added is to use the same hole in the pedal. This would make the brake pedal sensitive. The proper way is to drill a hole 1" below (to reduce the pedal ratio) the manual brake hole to reduce the sensitive. With my vacuum boost/brake booster it is not sensitive and I normally have an empty bed.

On another note. If you have 4 wheel drum brakes then that would also make it sensitive. I have 4 wheel disc brake.

Just my thought.