View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2018, 09:50 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: V6 305 distributor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.joe.drew View Post
When I purchased my 63 1 ton it came with an after market electronic distributor that had not been installed. It ran pretty good but since I had this shiny new aluminum distributor, I removed the old distributor and installed the new one last summer. New wires, new plugs, looks great, timed at idle and purrs like a kitten. Problem is as soon as you give it some gas it back fires. Replaced vacuum advance hose still undrivable. I would have already put the old one back on but I had to remove the gear, which is rivoted on with some little shims, for the new distributor and didn't want to go thru that pain again. Any thaughts, experiences, advise would be appreciated.
Randy

Greetings Randy!

Did the engine backfire with the original distributor? Or is this a condition that just developed after you installed the new distributor? If your engine is backfiring through the carb on acceleration, it could be an indication of the engine not getting enough gas, in other words a lean mixture. It can also be an indication of late ignition timing. It's been so many years since I tuned up my old 305 (which I no longer have) that I've forgotten the exact specs on ignition timing, but a good place to start is 6 degrees before top dead center. The vacuum advance should be disconnected and the vacuum source plugged or capped off when setting the timing. I could be of more help if I were there and could observe the engine's behavior up close and personal. Hope this helps you.