View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2018, 01:45 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
POWERSTROKE is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Towing with a 305

That sounds like a pretty solid truck to tow with. I wore out two Ford 300-6's with NP-435 4spds, 3.50 or 3.55 gears, mine were both 4wd so had a 2 spd transfer case. Creeper low gear and direct 1:1 4th. I would think you could tow 3000-4000# pretty well. Probably tow 5000# on level roads if the trailer has a small frontal area. Wind resistance from a tall and wide trailer will tax your truck the most. Both my F-150's had frontal area restrictions on their trailer towing recommondations. Both my trucks had power brakes, with your manual brakes plan your stops well in advance. I've had BIG trucks with less than good brakes, had a stop light change on me, stood on the brake pedal with both feet, yelled Whow, and blared my air horn to warn cross traffic I was coming, 50 or 55 mph speed limit, I was doing about 20 when I went thru the red light, still on the brakes, slowed to a stop, pulled off the road and set up the slack adjusters on all 4 trailer brakes. Whoever had pulled the trailer last really abused the brakes.

You'll be the envy of everyone at the campground. My son traded his 2014 Ram 2500 CTD for a 2018 Mustang GT 6-speed with Performance Pac #2, Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, Wide sticky Pirelli tires, and all his car guy Buddys like my old 1996 F-250 reg cab long box 4wd with Alcoa wheels I gave him. He's shined it up, fixed a few things to make it reliable.