View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:51 PM

Truck: 1960 8' fleetside
jbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enoughjbgroby will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jake Groby's - 1960 GMC

Post 5

After the storm passed our entire Parish (County everywhere else) was completely wiped out. You all have heard the stories by now so I won’t start repeating them. I work at the Public water Plant as Supt., we were so busy trying to get the system back up in a decent condition I truly did not have time to worry much about what was going to happen to my family. I knew they were safe but living with Dee’s aunt was only an emergency short time fix. After being at work for 3 straight weeks, were given a 3 days weekend. On to bigger and better things, the missus and I were some of the lucky ones to have insurance, not enough to buy a house out right, but some to get a foot hold in a new location. We found a house for a real good price in Lacombe, LA., which is only 35 miles north from where we lost the home in Chalmette.

We did a quick Act of Sale, moved everyone in as well as some other family members. While I was at work, my wife 3 kids and daughter-in-law Jamie cleaned and painted the new home. I was working 6 days on with Sunday off and reporting back to work on Monday morning for the next 8 months. It got old after a while but it was needed. We had 118 employees and we were down to 42 after the storm. Every warm body was sorely needed.

Because we now had a little land that went with the new home over an acre, it made since to build a garage to park the cars in. I worked with a contractor to have a 24’ wide by 30' deep 2 car garage built. I had the slab poured and built the structure myself. I had a friend come in and put up the roof. These pictures show the building of the Garage