View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:31 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Correct GMC vs. Chevy Truck Wheels, 1960-66

Hello, I have taken pictures of two wheels I have. I believe they are both GMC specific. One is oversprayed black, but is Green from the factory, We'll call that one the Green Wheel. The other is the Black Wheel. First pics are of the Black Wheel. I got pics of all the markings I could see. It has GM and NT on the front area behind the hubcap. Can anyone explain any of the text and markings? It does not have "Nubbins", it is a riveted wheel, not welded. The air hole is off-center right, just as the others on my truck. I believe all of these wheels have the air hole in this position. It is 5.5 inches bead to bead. Does anyone out there have these exact wheels,and if so, what are they on. I believe these are early production GMC form 1960 models. They would have been made in 1959 for fall production. They may be carry overs from earlier GMC models, but I think they are exclusively GMC. The profile in the center is what I call a "Potter Wheel" pattern. It looks as if a potter ran his finger along that area and made a flat seam about 1/2 inch wide, all the way around the middle of the wheel. I have a picture of my finger on this seam (on the Green Wheel) to illustrate where it is.
From all the pictures I have seen of both makes, I believe the 1960 Chevy trucks never used the Potters Wheels. They always seem to have the smooth center without the flat seam. I believe those can be safely considered to be exclusively 1960 Chevy truck Wheels. I also believe the 1960 GMC trucks ONLY featured Potters Wheels of one sort or the other. I believe they had two versions. The early ones like my truck has, and the later production ones which have the "squished in" looking center section. Each plant may have gotten the wheel types at different times. Or they may each have had only one wheel type. I think you will more likely find the Squished style wheels on later production trucks. The non squished Potterrs Wheels may have been carry overs, but I think the Squished type potters Wheels were designed to be THE 1960 GMC truck wheel. And these wheels were fazed in as the early style wheels were used up. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas, Greg Mead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3812.JPG (2.29 MB, Multiple views, 13 clicks)
File Type: jpg 100_3811.JPG (2.59 MB, Multiple views, 9 clicks)
File Type: jpg 100_3820.JPG (2.44 MB, Multiple views, 6 clicks)