Thread: Need Opinions
View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:27 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Opinions

As for the wood for the stake sides, when I built some for my '64 wideside, I used the actual Hemlock Fir fence boards, because they are known as a 5/4" (five-quarter) by 6" inch boards, and cut/rough sawn. They give the sturdiness of the boards and with appropriate hardware and solid bed gussets, they lock together well. I painted the stake sides white, as to highlight the other white areas of my '64.
As for the vertical stock, some people will buy the pre-made steel posts, but again, a solid stock, like oak or even mahogany, something thick and stout. These sides lasted almost 30 years and with their weight, don't bounce all over the place.
It's up to you, but I would make the front section one solid fence, then if you want to make the sides solid or partitions, like the back sections, this way you're not lifting such heavy panels.
These pieces, even the bed wood, you could natural stain, stainless bolts, use these like I did to highlight the second color. Any of the wood you might go through a salvage/restoration business and get some beautiful grained wood, mill it yourself, and get some eye-popping results...."if" you don't plan on hauling anything.

Otherwise, I agree with the other Members, give it some TLC the way it is, clean up/repaint the white areas, just buff the front bumper and clear coat, maybe the rims too. This greenish-turquoise was the original color of my '64, but I don't know the code or color name. Have fun with your restoration! A great truck for a parade!