Thread: 351 conversion
View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:36 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1961 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup
Culver Adams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 351 conversion

I don't know much beyond my own experience.

I do know a 216 I6, even if kept full of oil and coolant and not over revved, will show wear. (But how many other engines are friendly enough to let average, motivated mechanics rebuild bearings on a cold night by flashlight?)

My 478 V6, on the other hand, just laughs when I try to find where it is wearing itself out. But it's a brute and your engine is brute's smaller brother. You may want to check the weight of 351 versus 216 and then find what parts it wants to eat for lunch. (Should I mention that today I am welding my 1961 GMC K1500's front upper shock absorber mounting bracket--now in two pieces, thanks to 478 engine weight on top and the winter of winters pot holes on the bottom?) (Photo attached.)

My opinion: If you want the most durable low RPM high torque engine, you can't do much better than what you just bought and SM420, assuming you can use it's low gear and don't need overdrive, is it's perfect mate. They could be going to the prom together.

Regards and Please don't forget how much this group likes photos ;-)

Culver Adams
Minneapolis, MN (Come for the lunker Walleyes: stay for the shock absorber mounting bracket repairs.)
1961 GMC K1500 with (laughing) 478 V6 and (learning how to dance for the prom) SM420
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05483.JPG (2.98 MB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)
File Type: jpg DSC05479.JPG (3.10 MB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)