View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2023, 02:20 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Mulana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Locking Tabs 4 Flywheel?

A lot of good historical information there... thank you!

After checking out the web and the 6066 site in particular, I excitedly purchased a 432 about three years ago from a truck parts yard. This particular motor was "rebuilt" and sat for many years on a shelf indoors. When I got it, a roof leak sent water into one of the cylinders. Anyhow, the motor has been completely gone through needing only a power-hone in one cylinder, rings, cam bearings, valve surfacing, and all the gaskets. I had issues with the flywheel as stated in a previous thread and purchased what I thought was a 401 wheel. Currently, I am using a 351 flywheel-housing, and a 5-speed transmission. I may or may not use a splitter, bit it is all going into a 1962 one-ton unit with 18-inch wheels. The intake manifold has a date stamp of 1971, but manifolds can easily be swapped out.

With all the great help I am getting from the 6066 brothers and sisters (THANK YOU ALL), it sounds quite bit like what I thought was a 401 flywheel is actually some other 8 bolt GMC V6 wheel. In either case, the wheel, front counterbalance, and the crank have all been balanced as one unit. The motor sits in a cradle waiting to come to life soon. Just a couple of things left to do when time permits. In the meantime, the kids here at the high school are eyeballing the motor and asking many questions. They frequently stop by the 5-sp and shift through the gears. It doesn't take much to enthuse the kids.... they are as excited as I am.

Last edited by Mulana; October 14th, 2023 at 04:41 PM. Reason: I wanted to thank my 6066 brothers and sisters for all their help thus far.