View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2013, 04:45 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: After Market dash gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
Yup, not wanting to punch holes or modify the original cluster or any part of the dash. I'd like to just add them on somewhere so as I could get better readings than those red lights. In fact, the original water temp gauge might even work fine. I'll know about that after I get the engine to fire. But since I've got the oil pump apart to redo and just came up with one of those spiffy, aluminum, spin on oil filter adapters, at least an oil pressure gauge would be in order.
Hey Foley, how have you been? I just thought you may be interested to know that if you want a stock look, that some aftermarket guages can be re-faced to look pretty much original. I bought a 20 dollar reface decal kit for 55-59 GMCs from "The Filling Station" and rebuild the original guages that I knew worked in my truck. I ordered a gas guage and a water temp guage from Amazon, el-cheapo Sunpro brand. I needed them with what I think was called a 270* sweep, but the temp guage had to have 180* straight up vertical. I wanted to go to an electric water temp too. Hopefully I can get a couple of pics to post again here if you are interested.

I forgot to take a pic before I removed the lense from the new guage in the first pic and the second one is after re-assembly and testing to see if I screwed it up doing that work to it with a heat gun. I had to shorten the needle and mix some paint to match too obviously.

Later---DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 New temp guage 003.jpg (699.9 KB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)
File Type: jpg 55 New temp guage 018.jpg (1.07 MB, Multiple views, 12 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday