View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2019, 12:15 PM

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside 4 speed (305D / SM-420)
Clarke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1966 And Later Fuel Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoulas View Post
Which fuel pumps are rebuildable? I have been getting the NAPA and they seem rebuildable but I am told there is no rebuild kit. The ethanol gas seems to destroy these pumps.
Not sure about the rebuild kit, but based on my experience, Ethanol gas has nothing to do (or very little) with premature failure of the rubber diaphragm. You can find detailed explanations to my therory in earlier posts.

In short, the pump arm stroke (travel) is too great for the (smaller) diameter of the pump. I have proven this by using and hauling non-Ethanol gas on many road trips, and by the type of driving. These pumps last a lot longer when cruising around town at low to mid RPM range.

Constant higher RPM is what kills these pumps quicker. I have proven this multiple times by replacing the pump twice within a few hundred miles, running constant highway speed at 3200-3400 RPM while burning non-Ethanol gas (versus driving the same miles back and forth to work through town over a longer period while burning Ethanol gas).

My experience is based putting approx 15,000 miles over the last ten years on my ‘62 305.