View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:18 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: windshield glass

Some will tell you the 221 is indestructible but from my experiences with a 62 and 68 GMC trucks in my family both purchased new, these transfer cases were trouble prone. Both ate up bearings, the 62 was tied up for two weeks at a GMC dealer in a remote area of California back in 1966 because of bearing failure. The 68 had bearing problems as well, those were replaced but it's eventual demise came with a bearing failure in the main shaft that ended up with stripped splines that goes to the coupler between the transmission and transfer case leaving the truck motionless. At that point I made a decision which I'd been thinking about for quite some time and that was to upgrade to a NP205. No more whiney transfer case, this is the case that has a real reputation for being indestructible and I was happy with the conversion. A 205 from a 60's to 71 Dodge would be the one to use, I've seen it done and it would require the mounting and crossmember from the Dodge that would have to be modified to fit the GMC frame. What also like to add is both the 62 and 68 saw a lot off off road use as well as hauling camping gear and towing a long wheelbase Jeep CJ6 behind them and combined with the torque of the V6, too me it's apparant the 221 transfercase just could not hold up to this kind of use hard usage. Pete Chronis Northern Cal 68 GMC KM-2500 478M V6