View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Truck: 1961 Series 1000
goodpal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel supply loss when in gear

Thanks again everyone for the continued ideas and sorry for the hold up in getting back to everybody.

I swung by the parking lot I'd left my truck in and, after venting the gas tank for a minute or two, started her up and we were off to the races. AZKen I followed your recommendation about driving without the gas cap back home and didn't notice any issues on the drive home (about 5 miles).

When I got home I screwed the gas cap back on and let the truck sit for a few hours and went out for another few mile drive. This time start-up wasn't happening so I removed the gas cap again and we got going pretty quickly. Ride to the auto parts store was uneventful, one short loss of power driving back over the bridge (pretty steep uphill) but I leaned in on the throttle and we powered through it and no problems after that.

I bought a new vented gas cap for the truck and once it stops pouring rain here am going to see how we do with that.

I did notice once I was back to the driveway and revving at idle some oil spitting out the tailpipe as well as what looks like a skim of oil on top of the fuel pump so I do plan to see if I can blow back into the gas tank with the fuel filter off to check for clogs, replace the fuel filter, and see if any of the fuel pump suggestions from above continue to help out.

I really appreciate the time and knowledge from everyone, I'll check back in once I have had a chance to do some more structured tinkering