View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:31 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Ok boys and girls! Let's change a fuel pump....

Tools you will need:
  • 1/2" wrench or socket AND wrench
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • New fuel pump (49.99 with lifetime warranty)
  • About 45 minutes of time

First, let's look at where the fuel pump is located. Some people have replaced their stock mechanical (rod moves up and down to pump gas) pump to an electric one (electric motor pumps the gas instead). Mine's still mechanical. And if it wasn't, I'd replace it with one.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The fuel pump is the silver disk looking thing to the right of the alternator in the pic here, right on the front of the truck.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

You should disconnect the battery negative terminal while doing this so a kid or a random screwdriver doesn't turn the motor over and pump gas all over you or cut your face off with the motor's fan.

Now to the fun part. I ordered part number M20021 from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and it was a direct fit. First, I disconnected the line that runs from the pump to the carburetor with a 1/2" wrench.

Next I took out the bolts that go into the engine, leaving the intake line for last. These were also 1/2".

When you get those two bolts out the whole thing just unplugs from the motor with a big long hangy-down thing sticking out of it.

Gratuitous picture of the box the new pump came in. I don't know why they pictured the long plastic cylinder thing on the box. It wasn't inside.

Now take your screwdriver and take off the worm clamp on the hose running into the bottom of the fuel pump. I didn't have a screwdriver. I had a dime.

Once it's loose just pull off the bottom hose and yank that old crusty thing out. but don't toss it yet!

See those brass fittings? They don't come on the new pump! Take your wrench and screw them off. I used the round end of my wrench for the long, bottom one. I used the same thing to tighten it on the new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.