View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2016, 07:42 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Black Widow Build (1960 1/2 ton)

Quote:
Hm, newly installed clutch doesn't disengage.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Based on some reading, I checked the following:

Master cylinder: new, works good, plenty of fluid.

Slave cylinder: old, no leaks, visibly works good, plenty of fluid.

Throw out bearing: new, in throw out fork, clutch pedal readily moves bearing, looks like bearing engages pressure plate springs, though at the end of the clutch pedal stroke.

Throw out fork: original, operational (e.g. not bent or broken), mounted correctly, clutch pedal readily moves fork.

99% sure that the clutch plate is not installed backwards. It simply wouldn't fit if I did - at least I think so.

Only thing I can see is that the clutch plate appears to be pinned between the flywheel and the pressure plate. Odd. I thought it was supposed to float between the two?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Does this bearing look like the old one?
There are two throwout bearings for these trucks. A long (or tall) and a short. I suspect you need the long one, I also suspect that the bearing when the pedal isn't pushed down sits loose and doesn't contact the fingers on the pressure plate at all.

Either that or there needs to be some adjustment made on the pushrod to snug the system up.

The disc *should* be pressed against the flywheel and pressure plate when the clutch -isn't- depressed. I've never looked to see how much space is created when the pedal is depressed, but it likely isn't much.

While I should have throw outs of both types in my trucks, I am not pulling the transmissions so I can take pictures (and the ground is swampy so crawling under is a nasty proposition) as most (if not all) of my trucks have that same, or similar, very "light" transmission.

-If- the throwout is fine, and the pushrod length is fine... then _gremlins_.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500