View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Need ignition upgrade help/advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey478 View Post
Thank you, George, Lewis, snazzypig, and Quigley for your good responses! I will check out the oil recommendations. Good to see someone is putting zinc back in them. Quigley, the HP increase due to MSD is what we saw on the Massey 1100 with the 478 in it. Our problem is our M&W Gear dyno is a 540 RPM unit so it does not go as high for HP rating as the 1,000 RPM models. My son has an Massey 1155 with the 540 Perkins V-8 diesel in with a modified fuel system. He pushed the dyno above 200 HP with it and cracked the dyno pump rear housing. That took some welding and machining to repair! So, we now do not push it above its highest rating. I cannot tell you, therefore, how much actual HP the 478 gained with the MSD. I can say it reached the 200 HP dyno maximum HP capability at a much lower RPM on the PTO than before the installation of the MSD, which is a sure indicator of higher HP output. When we put the MSD on our Monaco, cammed, and a friend of ours did the same with a cammed 440 motor in a 1965 Coronet, it almost sounded like we changed cams due to how much the idle smoothed out. Running it out proved no cam change, but an increase in street drive-ability and better acceleration was noted.
Wow! , this post has been hijacked from the original poster.