View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2013, 04:50 AM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Backup Light and Clutch Questions

Both of these questions seem to fit in the Transmissions category.

First, my 1964 3/4 ton GMC pickup with a 305e V6 that I am trying to get back on the road is a very basic model. It is a no frills, working truck that has given me good service and a number of headaches over the past 35 years. I now have time to work on long delayed maintenance and improvement projects, and one of these is to add a backup light. The transmission is a four speed (three highway and low range) with the shift lever coming out of the floor. Can anyone tell me if this transmission has a reverse switch hiding under the accumulated grime, or if one can be added, to activate a backup light?

Second, the clutch catches and causes the vehicle to "buck" if the clutch is not carefully and slowly released. This is especially bad when in reverse. I had the clutch worked on at a GM truck dealer about 17,000 miles and many years ago, but the problem came back. Is this a common problem? And what is the likely cause - warped plates, worn bearings, or something else? I would like to have some idea of what is causing the problem before trying to fix it.

Thanks ahead for any information and suggestions. I enjoy reading about other people's work. It helps to know that I am not alone in trying to keep a good machine working.

JRMunn