View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2020, 04:15 PM

Truck: 1960 Custom 4x4
fritz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1960 3/4 ton 4X4

Hello
The seat was reupholstered using vintage OEM NOS material. A very kind and help full member sent a photo of his original 1960 seat so I could have the seat done 100% original .Then I found Original Automotive Interiors north of Detroit. Tom Ames and his father had owned the business and just recently sold to SMS in Canby Oregon. Tom Had the most unbelievable selection of 100% original OEM automotive fabric you could imagine. Barn after barn full all neatly cataloged and stored. Sometime in the 50's they began going to the big 3 at model changeover and buying the unused upholstery. It was really remarkable that they had the original fabric for the 1960 GMC (both the geometric pattern and the silver) sitting on the shelf after nearly 60 years. Tom had told me that reciently GM came in and bought a bunch of 1960's Pontiac upholstery. There were no cooler interiors than 1960's Pontiac's often 4 or 5 colors and beautiful cloth seats. They bought some of the 1960 GMC fabric as well. They took all of the material and had custom furniture upholstered for their corporate conference room and lobby.

SMS may have some of the OEM material left I don't know as I have led a few members to the original source it may be gone. SMS does have reproduction material.
Good luck