View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2015, 02:53 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cayoterun's new folly--GMC/Chevy bus

Quote:
The engine bay is pretty short at 48 inches. the stick tansmissions are built vertically and are short. 292 may not be an option unless the firewall can be moved. you may need 60+ inches if you are going auto. tom
Tom: You sure may be on to something, when you thought it might be better to use the existing drive line and frame. I did spend some time comparing and measuring today. Suddenly, the "aawwhaa" light came on.
The '47 Chevy grain truck I have looks like all mechanical components are the same. 2spd rear end shifts manually, too. Rear end housing springs and pads are the same. The whole nine yards. I know almost for sure that the grain truck won't have nearly as many miles as the bus.
The steering column shaft and tube on the trucks are longer, but the boxes look the same, so gears might swap, maybe?? Radiators and mounts look the same. The wheels and tires fit, and I can graft the vacuum brake booster over on the bus, too.
I may still have the speedometer out of it somewhere, and hope I can. It might show the approx. miles the truck had on it. I took the instrument panel out of the cab when I used it on the V12 project.
If this proves out, I'll have two trucks to rob from, radiators and all.
I would still plan to use a 292. It would have more umph than the old 216s or 235s, plus pressure oil system. There should be plenty of room for it by staying with the 4 spd. standard trannies.

It should pull the bus 50-60 mph without too much strain on it, Shouldn't it??
What do ya'll think?

I have no plans to do burn-outs for show and tell with it.
If this works out, it wouldn't reduce time and labor required, but would sure reduce the cost, plus having most of the stuff on hand helps a lot.

I believe I have titles for the donor trucks, too.

Soo, Next step is ripping old stuff in, out, and under the old bus, and getting down to the foundation. Lot's of vacuuming and pressure washing ahead.

This old dog that caught the car---bus--, may find a purpose for it, yet. Time will tell!

Thanks again to all for the helpful comments, and suggestions.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by Cayoterun; January 19th, 2015 at 03:30 AM.