View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:56 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 3/4 to 1/2 ton Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYONS11 View Post
I don't plan on tackling the front end until I get settled in B'ham but I want to start the research now. I thought I had everything figured out before I started the rear end swap but I quickly learned I didn't do enough research. If anyone else is doing the same swap I am now a wealth of knowledge on the hurdles that will need to be overcome on the rear end. The biggest PITA was the 2 piece drive shaft/carrier bearing.
We are doing the opposite. Taking a '66 half ton and upgrading it to 3/4 ton. So far it has been a bolt in... although that is likely because it is leaf to leaf and not to trailing arms, that isn't a conversion I'd want to do.

I am not sure, however, why the two piece would be a problem. Even the half-ton '62 I have has a two piece driveline. In fact the only vehicle I have which had a single is this stupid '66 half ton, which we are turning into a 2 piece rather than have 2" removed from the driveline (2-2.5 inches is the difference between the two rear axles for housing depth). Having multiple trucks to pull parts off of helps of course although it would have been easier if we had pulled the stupid carrier assembly and e-brake off the spare frame I scrapped.

SInce this is a stock conversion we are doing, it appears to be mostly bolt in with little hassle. In fact the driveline so far has been the only problem.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500