View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2022, 09:19 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

A month later! Had to do a lot of work on my other car ('89 Golf MK2 1.6 diesel, slow but very good mileage, around 50 MPG)

Almost finished the dual exhaust, decided it was time for a fun project. Got 'er done but still lacking the end pipes (behind rear tire). Will need some extra 90-degree bends for these. Picture will follow when that is finished.

A couple of small exhaust leaks will have to be addressed.

I used the Walker 18230 mufflers, with is a replacement muffler for Chargers and probably other B bodies with 426 Hemi and 440 engines I believe. Used 2.25" aluminized pipes. Nice and quiet but with a good rumble, meaning you can hear the engine well, especially when you step on it. Exactly what I wanted.

Also repaired the heat riser as it did not move freely. Got it to move freely. By testing on the bench with a heat gun it worked like a charm. Turns out it never opens when driving, probably from the wind cooling the heat riser. The bi-metal spring is 'worn out', opening at a temperature that is too high.

So I will probably delete it but will tie it open for now. Hate heaving to hear the engine running on 3 cylinders with those duals

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Question: any forum members still have the heat riser on your 305 or did you delete it?