View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:59 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6066 GMC Truck Club 20th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Dadgum what a walk down memory lane! I've only been around for the past 7 years or so (maybe?) Dac, that looks like a FUN project! Can you post some more pictures of her?

I got started here because I was on the chevy forum trying to figure out how to get Cecilia running smoothly for daily driving and NOBODY knew anything useful except "yanhk that out and grab u a 350, bro". I hated the idea of destroying history and really couldn't see a reason to toss a perfectly good engine.

Thankfully someone eventually pointed me to the yahoo email boards and I tell you what, I couldn't have gotten my truck to the point that it's reliable again without you guys. (Yes, I know, i blew a tranny but we'll get to that elsewhere ) I had NO IDEA what I was doing, and you can see it from my build thread mistakes. I make sure to include all my hairbrained ideas so everyone else could see what not to do.

If it weren't for you guys on this forum and the work Jolly and Jeannie put into it I'd probably have sold Cecilia to some punk kid that would have ripped her guts out by now and made her into another franken-truck.

I also got one of my favorite ideas from another member on here to start including Cecilia in my kids' birthdays. So for the past several years I've been taking their picture on her, in her various states of disarray, Now they're tied to her, she's tied to them, and we all can see the progression from youngster to young adult.

I may never get to paint, but I'll always have the memories of wrench turning with the kiddos and learning what not to do - together.

I'm forever grateful. And so are my helpers. For the old guys on here that remember, here's the Powder Puff from when Cecilia was first dropped off as a non-functioning pile of metal in the front yard.

And here's her just almost 2 weeks ago:

I can't wait to see what happens over the next few years. Now I'm tied up with building a home office in the yard (about 1 ft from where this picture was taken) and I'm getting started buying up rental houses this year as the home economy cools so I hopefully have some money in my retirement age. Projects a plenty I guess. One of them will have to be the tranny though. I have a garage full of office furniture until that's built, but then I'll wheel her in and get her running again.

Anyway, this got to be a rambling mess, but what I meant to say was thanks for the place to learn while we grow old, Jolly and Jeannie, and thanks to all the old timers that keep the interest in our trucks alive.

Good for you Fetch, nice to talk to you again! Wow the Powder Puff has really grown up! The pics make a good perspective of your project with Cecilia! Good luck with the rental biz. I run into the same kind of comments on a 70 GMC Jimmy I have---dump the 350 and put an LS in it! No way. If I want to drive a truck with an LS in it, we'll take my wife's '06 GMC.

The '55 really isn't much of a project at this time, just driving and maintaining it like you see in the pic. I did put a cheapo chinese carburetor on it back in October, and that really made a positive difference in how the old six banger runs and starts! Well under a hundred bucks. Should have done it a couple of years ago when I first heard of them being available.

I can't remember if it was '06 or '07 when I joined the Yahoo group. I had bought a real rough '62 3/4 ton 4x4 that had mostly Chevy sheetmetal and was looking for V-6 info. It ran great, 4x4 worked great but the electrical was junk as well as most of the body. Wish I wouldn't have had to sell it mid 2007 but the guy that bought it already had one mid sixties Chevy 4x4 with an inline six that was beautifully restored and he said he wanted the V-6 version to build for his young son. Hopefully he did get it done.

Here's about the most recent pic of the '55 and a pic of the 62 I had to sell.

DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penetrol on '55.jpg (1.60 MB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)
File Type: jpg 62-1.jpg (30.1 KB, Multiple views, 3 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday

Last edited by GMCDAC; January 14th, 2020 at 02:05 AM.