View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:30 AM

Truck: 1949 Flxible bus with a 401 v6
br-549 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carbon Buildup and Stuck Valves

We have the bus home now. It ran great the 300+ miles home. Now to answer a few questions. The valve was stuck at start-up on the morning of second day of out trip. I pulled plug wires until i knew the cyl that was missing. I then pulled the plug and watched it fire. Then i checked for compression and it was good so i pulled the valve cover and the valve was stuck in the down position. I tapped it with a brass hammer but it would not return. I then gently used a crows foot in the spring and could push it up but with each revolution it would stick. I ran blaster down the stem but that did not help. So- i was able to hook up with a friend of a friend about 10 miles away you owned a place we could park the bus and work. I removed the push rod on the affected valve and slowly drove it the 10 miles. We removed the cyl head cleaned all the chambers and parts, checked all the valves and push rods for warp. A gasket set was not available so we reused the head gasket and made new intake gaskets.

Now, when the bus was brought out of storage- the oil and filter where changes- plugs replaced- points- cond- cap- rotor- wires- fuel filters (3) where replace- fuel tanks where drained but not flushed. I think that is where i missed the boat. I did change the last in line fuel filter the 2nd time after driving the 1st 100 miles but this afternoon i checked the clear filter and it looks dark. It will be a major job to remove these fuel tanks. I think i will try to flush them first and see what i get out of them.

I believe i can get a steam jenny wand down the filler neck and steam the tanks- what are your thought on this? Thanks for all the help! ja