View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Truck: 1963 1500 Long Bed Fleet
PLYONS11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3/4 to 1/2 ton Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
We are doing the opposite. Taking a '66 half ton and upgrading it to 3/4 ton. So far it has been a bolt in... although that is likely because it is leaf to leaf and not to trailing arms, that isn't a conversion I'd want to do.

I am not sure, however, why the two piece would be a problem. Even the half-ton '62 I have has a two piece driveline. In fact the only vehicle I have which had a single is this stupid '66 half ton, which we are turning into a 2 piece rather than have 2" removed from the driveline (2-2.5 inches is the difference between the two rear axles for housing depth). Having multiple trucks to pull parts off of helps of course although it would have been easier if we had pulled the stupid carrier assembly and e-brake off the spare frame I scrapped.

SInce this is a stock conversion we are doing, it appears to be mostly bolt in with little hassle. In fact the driveline so far has been the only problem.
The drive shaft was a problem because I was going from a dana 60 to a 12 bolt. The tail shafts on each were a different size. The other issue was the crossmember that came as part of the trailing arm swap. It is designed for a lowered truck therefore the original carrier bearing would not work with it.