View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:25 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Prone to crankshaft failures"?

Hello tommyduncan!

In regards to your question about the GMC 305 V-6 being prone to crankshaft failure, worry not my friend! This line of engines was not known for mechanical failures of any kind. They were extremely well engineered and well built engines. The only ways that you could cause a crankshaft to fail in one of these engines would be in the following ways:
(1) Run the engine without oil, or extremely low on oil
(2) Fail to change the oil at recommended intervals and allowing sludge to accumulate in the crankcase/oilpan which could plug the intake screen on the oil pump and starve all internal moving parts of oil
(3) Continuous operation of these engines above 4,000 RPM (I believe 4,000 RPM would be very close to redline, if not redline on these engines) since they were not designed to run at the higher RPM's that a common V-8 could tolerate.

The massive size and sturdiness of the crankshaft in these engines does not allow for failure unless the crankshaft was flawed in the process of manufacture (possible but not very likely), or unless any of the aforementioned conditions have happened, or have been allowed to happen.

I hope this puts your mind at ease. I once owned a 305 V-6, and never once did I have any concern(s) that my 305 would leave me sitting high and dry due to any type of engine failure problem. It was the best truck engine I ever owned!