View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:43 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1966 gmc 1500
ilvracn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy looking for help with 1962 GMC

i would say your real world #s on ethanol, methanol, & lpg are right on the money. living in iowa, we have had e-10 since the early 80's. i could tell back then that i could drive alot further on straight gas than ethanol. the price difference didn't use to be such a wide split. when it was about 10 cents difference, the cost of either fuel was about equal per mile. but anymore with 40 cents or more split, i think is cheaper per mile to run the ethanol, as well as being alot easier to find.

the bad side is ethanol is corrosive. it is hard on electrical windings in fuel injectors. it also degrades plastic, rubber, and aluminum parts in the fuel system.

from my experiance the older the vehicle, the more trouble and maintenance issues you will have with ethanol. part of this is because older vehicles tend to sit for periods of time without running. ethanol draws moisture.

i don't put e-10 in my 66 gmc' because i dont drive it every day. nor do i put it in my mower, chainsaw, weedeater, or any other small engine that sits more than it runs.

rick