View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2018, 05:35 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

The trick to install the filler neck grommet is to installed it first in the truck. Then put a light coat of Vaseline on the grommet and the filler tube. Then it slide in easily. The same go for the interconnecting hose.
Quote:
Another fine adventure there Fetch! If you can afford to keep non ethanol gas in your new tank it won't rust out so quickly.

To add to James' tip, I first slide the filler hose over the filler neck and tighten the upper clamp securely. Then insert the neck up through the grommet. I like to spray rubbing alcohol on the parts which makes things slide in place easily and it leaves no residue. Vaseline or grease works too. Next, hang the lower clamp over the gas tank neck. Then block up or have someone raise the passenger side of the tank, and slide the tank over to meet the lower end of the hose. Lower the other end of the tank so that the neck rises to meet the lower hose. The hose should be as low as possible so you can access and tighten the lower clamp. If your spacing is good at the top, the filler neck will protrude the right amount.
I'm sure there are other good ways to do this job, this is just what works for me.

With all your little helpers ready to help Daddy, it should be a fun project!

Great tips guys! The rubber Steele uses is very pliable so it slips in easily ungreased, but I did tie the filler neck to it before putting it back together this time.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I started with taking the dang thing off again (figures!)

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then I shoved it into the rubber hose that connects it to the tank.

Then I went and stuck the anti-squeakers back in place under the tank. These feel like they were once gasket material just cut to fit. I bet you could make some new ones real easy, but I didn't have any gasket material so they went back on.

The tank fit right back up the hole area like it should. Now I pushed the filler neck on and it slid on very easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.